Today I went to my monthly weight watchers meeting for my "weigh-in." I decided to go during my lunch break, as it is pretty close and only takes me five minutes or so. When I walked into the room, I couldn't believe how many people were there. At least 50 people crowded into this little space. I've never seen so many people at a meeting or even just to weigh in. The line was so crazy we had to go in the back room (where the meeting is held) and wrap it around all the chairs.
I knew that Weight Watchers had unveiled a new plan in the last few days. One of my friends already tipped me off. As I stood impatiently waiting in line, I listened to the leader with half an ear and thought back to my own beginnings at WW.
For those of you not in the know (but most of you probably already know this story) I joined Weight Watchers in January 2006. I've always had trouble with my weight. I was fine as a little kid, but as I got into 5th grade I packed on the pounds. I'm not really sure why. Maybe because I was a bookworm and not active enough, or maybe because that elusive "growth spurt" never hit me and I stayed short and chubby, or maybe those snacks we kept in the house were too tempting. Whatever the case, I was plump up until the end of 10th grade. In 10th grade, right after Christmas, I started using my dad's exercise bike three times a week and cutting back on all the junk. And I probably lost around 20 pounds, which was a lot for me. I was more active in high school, I went out more often, so I didn't just sit around and snack.
I gained some weight again when I was around 18, but nothing to be alarmed about. It wasn't until I was in graduate school (going to the bar and knocking back shots and beers three nights a week did not help) that I started to really gain weight. But the worst was after my mom died. I was depressed, stuck at a job I hated, and just didn't care anymore. I would snack at my desk, eat takeout with dad three times a week, and not get any exercise.
When I started my new job I got disgusted with myself. I had trouble climbing the stairs, and knowing full well heart disease ran in my family, started to panic. Luckily, a girl I worked with (thank you Jen!) was a life-time member of Weight Watchers. When I finally talked to her about it, she offered to go to a meeting with me at her center so I could check it out. She was a huge help getting me started with the whole thing.
I wound up going, and signing up for the plan. It also helped that my dad was doing the plan with me, at his office. We would compare tips and exercise, I cooked meals out of the WW cookbooks, and once a week we would use our "flex points" and treat ourselves to Dairy Queen or what have you. I'll never forget the first WW meal I cooked for us. We measured every portion, and ate every last crumb. We looked at each other when we were done and wanted to cry, we were so hungry. But we got used to it and carried on.
In August of 2006, I hit my lifetime goal. It was actually the week I met my husband. Teehee. What a good week. I lost 45 pounds total. I haven't looked back since. Weight Watchers is the only diet/plan/whatever that has ever worked for me. I guess because it really is a lifestyle change, and not just a diet. I learned about portion control, exercise, what are good foods and bad foods...and I stuck with it. I still go to monthly weigh-ins, and have never been over my goal since I hit it three years ago. This isn't to say I'm perfect. I still love my fast food, and once a month I will treat myself to Sonic or Taco Bell, (today I went and celebrated a three-pound loss with a trip to McDonald's-yes I am that twisted) and when I am on vacation I will eat whatever I please. But there is always a fear in the back of my mind of gaining weight again. And it's not even that I care so much about the way I look, but being unhealthy just scares the crap out of me. There are too many health issues I face with gaining weight, and I don't want to add troubles to myself.
Listening to the leader today made my head spin though. I guess Weight Watchers has totally changed their point system plan. It is like starting over from scratch. I'm not sure if I will go with it, or just stay with what I know. I feel that I've been on the plan long enough to know what I should and shouldn't eat, so why bother re-learning all this stuff I don't need?
I'm going to look over the material tonight, and see if I can make any sense out of it. If anyone has ever thought about joining WW I highly encourage them. It is a good plan, and they have a great support system with their leaders. (and no, I don't work for them or anything) They also have an online version for those who don't like meetings and are shy about interacting with people. I used to be like that. I would sit in the meetings and not say a peep. But after I hit my goal I would talk and interact and share tips and recipes. Yeah. It's that kind of place. Which is a good thing!
So yes, I am proud of myself and glad I am living a healthier lifestyle. That won't stop me from enjoying dinner at my favorite Greek restaurant tomorrow night, though, and chowing down on a gyro and some baklava for dessert. ;)
Very motivating Jack. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGreat job Jackie! Keep up the great work and enjoy that dinner tomorrow night!!
ReplyDelete~Lisa~