Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Peeps Ahoy!

I probably should have posted this before Easter, but I was never known for being prompt.

I figured now is as good as any time to address one of my obsessions: Peeps.

Yes. The multi-colored, beady-eyed, chicks or bunnies made out of marshmallow goodness.

When did my obsession with Peeps began? Well, I've always loved the treats. For as long as I can remember I got a package of yellow chicks or bunnies in my Easter basket. And my mom made a killer basket. We would have trinkets (paddle ball, bendable Easter bunny, etc) big toys, and of course, candy.

It was until about 5 years ago that I started to collect Peeps merchandise. The reason for this is because they probably didn't have merchandise until then. Just Born (the company that owns Peeps) must have hired a new marketing exec that year, because all of a sudden I was seeing plush Peeps in the drugstores. I squealed with delight when i bought my first fluffy Peeps chick. It's still my favorite to this day. After that, I began collecting the plush Peeps wherever I could find them around Easter time.

But that wasn't good enough. I was out in Vegas one year, and Walgreen's had a big plastic Peep filled with stickers, candy, and other oddities. I scooped it up, but was bummed when they didn't bring it back the year later.  The husband, with his infinite patience, took my crazed hobby with the same attitude as he did with my other weird hobbies: (including but not limited to; collecting antenna balls, out of state fast food merchandise, and Hess trucks) gentle amusement.

But soon he was helping me feed my addiction. Last year he hit the mother load. Stop and Shop, my local grocery store, apparently had a truckload of Peeps merchandise. He came home one day, grinning from ear to ear and unloaded the bag. It had Peeps sunglasses. A jump rope. Sidewalk chalk, bubbles, a necklace. And more. I couldn't believe my luck. Other stores would randomly carry goods too. Party City, Rite-Aid, and Walgreen's to name a few. Party City is always good for finding Peeps Easter basket and bean bag plushes.

This year was a slow year. The only new item I found was a huge bean bag Peep chick, which my niece loves playing with. Besides my original yellow chick, my favorite item is the windup Peep. Is nothing funnier than seeing a yellow Peep run around on the floor? I also have Peep lip gloss, candy containers, books and bath toys.  I almost swooned when Peeps opened an online shop, and I added magnets, socks, and a coffee mug to my collection.

But this summer I might finally hit the mother ship: The only Peeps store in existence. Baltimore, Maryland. I go to Virginia every year to visit my in-laws. Baltimore is on the drive down. I have to go. If I don't, I might cry. Seriously. My goal is to become the Peeps Facebook Fan of the Week. I posted a picture of my collection to the page, but haven't made it yet. I might have to start campaigning if they don't put me on that page soon.

I guess I don't really have an answer to "why" I love them as much as I do. The simplest explanation I can give is that they make me happy. There is something about the cute little faces on either chick or bunny (I'm partial to the chicks) that make me smile. They are goofy, sweet, and delicious all at the same time.  Check out some pictures of my collection below, and enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment