Two separate discussions in the past few weeks led me to this particular blog post.
Music.
Both were discussions I listened to on the Howard Stern show. The first was about Lady Gaga. The second was one about a rapper named Common, who I'd never heard of until the Stern show. My co-worker also gave me some background information on him.
I listen to all kinds of music. I'm more open-minded now then when I was a kid. Back then it was all hair metal bands and strict rock and roll. Now I listen to everything from classical, rock, oldies, industrial, and pop.
But I've noticed over the years the steady decline of regular rock and roll music. Where are all the rock bands? Where are the musicians who actually write their own songs instead of sampling others? Where are the sell-out arena concerts and LIVE musicians and singers? And where are the rock and rollers who don't rely on ridiculous costumes to entertain (yes, I'm talking to YOU Katy Perry and Lady Gaga!)?
I know music comes and goes in phases. We had hair metal, grunge, boy bands, etc. But nowadays it seems it's mostly hip-hop or dance/pop tunes. I very rarely listen to the "Hits" station on my Sirius radio, but when I do all I hear are sampled songs and auto-tune. And I can't stand that auto-tune shit. Hey, if you have to rely on a machine to make you sound good, pick another profession! Take up an instrument, learn to dance, paint a picture. I prefer my singers to not have a robot voice, thankyouverymuch (Black Eyed Peas are the worst offenders here). And if it isn't auto-tuned, there is a backup rap singer chanting his name over and over again with a popular singer. Madonna and Mariah Carey are a good examples of people who just pump out albums due to whatever is trending at the moment. Dance album? Check. Songs with a rapper? Check again.
This past year has seen some mainstream success with rock bands; mainly being Muse, Arcade Fire, and bless their souls, U2. The Cars are reuniting, and I find it sad that not one of my friends showed any remote interest in this. I missed them in the early 80's because they broke up when I was too young to enjoy concerts.
I had no idea who Common was, but apparently they were annoyed with him attending some White House visit because of his song lyrics. When I heard a sample of his song, I kind of understood it. It was filled with guns, blood, violence, what have you. The President was not a fan. I'll admit I'm biased; I flat out dislike rap music. I'm not into guys singing about "bitches, guns, and blunts" or whatever. I find no need for it. But whatever, if that's your thing fine with me. There are lots of people who don't like my music. But I'm just so out of the loop with this stuff. I think I own one hip-hop album, and that's Outkast. And even that is a stretch for me. I like about 4 songs on it.
I'm not saying that some of these people aren't decent entertainers, but I do miss the sounds of guitars, drums, and a real singer. I know Lady Gaga and Katy Perry have their fans, and I shouldn't focus my venom on them in particular, but I'm just tired of the generic dance music. And don't even get me started on this:
Even Ms. Spears has fallen into the "compilation with a rapper/auto-tune" trap on her new album. Makes me long for "Baby, One More Time." And I've never been a huge Britney fan, bitch.
But I guess the important question is: Why have people turned away from standard rock music? Is it a sign of the decline of our civilization that people have no tolerance for real musicians? Does it tie into the whole social network/iPhone/technology era?
When I was younger I always looked forward to the summer, because where I grew up, Jones Beach was the place to go and they would announce their summer concert lineup, and it would be a mad dash to get to see your favorite bands. Now I'm lucky if one of my favorite rock bands plays some little dive club somewhere. Back then the craziest sampling that went on was Trent Reznor at a Nine Inch Nails concert playing some loops on his songs. There were no costume changes, no backup dancers, etc. There were stacks of amps, maybe a screen set up, and a good performance.
I honestly can't remember the last CD I bought of a regular rock band. I'm guessing it was probably Muse or Placebo. Those two bands are great, but you very rarely hear them on a "hit" station. You have to seek them out on an alternative or college rock station.
So I guess I'll have to hold my own funeral and declare that rock is dead. It seems I will be mourning in private, since most of the general public doesn't seem to agree with me. I am curious to see what the next phase will be. A Capella? Square dancing music? Classic music taking over the radios? Doubtful, but I still have my old standards to keep me entertained.
Have to agree with you that there is not any new rock out there. But disagree, I do not think rock will ever die. There is always people who will bring back the old rock and roll. It has been around for a very long time. For now we have to listen to older music but I do believe artist will create more rock music in the future.
ReplyDeleteAnd you wonder why I never listen to the radio...
ReplyDelete