...two years ago, I married the most wonderful person on the planet. Ok, ok. so some of you marrieds might disagree with me and say your spouse is the most wonderful person on the planet. Fine. But I think my husband is pretty damn great.
For those of you who don't know the story (and for those of you who do, bear with me), I met the husband back in 2006 at the birthday party of a mutual friend. This friend had been trying to hook us up for about two years, but I wasn't interested in dating anyone at the time.
I arrived at the party (late), and saw this cute guy standing around with everyone else. 'Cha-ching!' I thought he was pretty cute. Anyway, to make a long story short...he was dating someone at the time, so I was disappointed and didn't pursue him...until I heard a few weeks later he was single again. Then, I pursued him relentlessly. I bugged our mutual friend to hook us up...and he complied. The three of us had dinner together and then on another night he came over for a movie-watching night at my place with some other friends. It was around Halloween, and the choices were Psycho and the Exorcist. Yes, I finally picked the Exorcist because he wanted to see it. I didn't get to sit next to him, of course, because creepy mutual friend decided to plop himself right next to him. *Sigh*. Anyway, when the movie was over and we were all done chatting, he asked for my number, and what I was doing next Friday night (all the while creepy mutual friend was lingering by the door listening to the whole exchange).
I got the phone call while I was trying on boots at the mall. I hysterically ripped off the tall hooker boots and hightailed it out of there so I could talk in private-in my car-and hope to make solid plans. We did.
Our first date was dinner at Red Robin, where we made awkward conversation. Mutual friend hadn't really told us anything about each other, and we didn't get to share on movie night, so we had to start at the beginning. I had a feeling the night was going badly (my joke of us being surrounded by children and his answer of "they aren't going to eat us" somewhat alarmed me), but when we sat down in the movie theater to watch "A Nightmare Before Christmas" all started to flow. The conversation came much easier, and we had fun watching the movie.
After, he walked me to my car and I gave him a quick kiss...and told him I was leaving in a week to vacation in Seattle.
I almost doubted him when he showed up at the airport a few days later to see me off (was he too eager? Was I just being paranoid?) but I really was touched and didn't dwell on it. We exchanged some texts in Seattle and a phone call. And when I got home from Seattle we officially became "boyfriend and girlfriend." Tee-hee.
After 9 months of dating we became engaged, and a year later we were married in fabulous Las Vegas.
So, here is a tribute to my husband, the one I love. The calm to my storm, the apple of my eye, the Jack to my Sally. Need I say more?
xoxo

No comments:
Post a Comment