Saturday, October 2, 2010

Moving on up!

The husband and I are finally moved in to our new condo. I never thought that moving would be as complicated as it was, but I'm officially done. I've done two other big moves before, but that was when I was younger and my dad basically handled all the "real" aspects of the move. I just had to pack some boxes and I was done. The address change alone was driving me batty. I had to contact student loan people, credit card people, and don't even get me started on the post office. I still haven't done my drivers license.

We had to be out of our apartment before our lease was even up. Not that I wanted to spend any extra time in that shitpile of an apartment, but it only adds more pressure to a stressful situation when you have two days to move out and clean up and hand in your keys. We technically had the place until October 31, but the manager was probably most anxious to get her next Section-8 approved loser to move into our vacated apartment. So she told us we had to be out by the 22nd. Nice.  I wasn't even present when the keys were handed over, which is just as well. I probably would have done something nasty, like piss on the floor or vomit outside someone's window, in retalitation for all the times that stuff happened to us.

Anyhow...the husband and my dad handled moving day, since I couldn't take any extra time from work. It all went smoothly, save a Target bookcase that was smashed.  The movers didn't do too much damage to our newly painted walls, either. I saw one little spot that was missing paint, but we can fix it easily.  I was actually more nervous about our new carpets. We had Home Depot install new carpets in the man cave downstairs, and throughout the hallway and living room upstairs. But again...I didn't see any dirt or stains. I realize the carpet is going to get dirty at some point, but I'm hoping it holds off on a month or two. LOL.

We have almost everything unpacked at this point. There are stray boxes that got shoved in some closets, but all of the "important" stuff is put away. I want to say I was a great packer, but I sucked this time around, mostly because I just started throwing stuff in random boxes in the end. You see, you start out incredibly organized when you move. You label the boxes, you put everything away neatly. Then the night before the movers come you start frantically throwing stuff in boxes that should never, ever go together (photo albums, shampoo, and a box of oatmeal? Sure, why not?) and you create chaos.

But we are loving the new place. There are still some things that need fixing (the toilet paper holder in the downstairs bathroom came off in my brother's hands on his visit) but we have a list and will chip away at them slowly but surely. The big things are fixed (hole in wall, broken screen door) and we can relax and enjoy it. And we are enjoying it. The place is incredibly quiet.  There are kids around here who play outside and don't cause a ruckus. No one fighting, peeing, or vomiting outside either. And we have a ton of space! The husband can crawl into his mancave for games, movies, and god knows what else while I watch t.v. upstairs or work at home.  It's good to be a homeowner.

No comments:

Post a Comment