Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Netflix, I love thee...

If I haven't mentioned this before, I'll do it now. I love Netflix. I only joined Netflix because my husband had an account, and he kindly added me to his. At first I was just adding some random tv shows on there, but now I am proud to say that I have 90 items in my queue. Of course, the husband has around 500 or so, but who's counting, really?

I wound up watching some shows I was always interested in, but never got around to watching. I'm not a big tv person. When I was younger I had all of my regular shows that I would watch on certain nights (Growing Pains was a big one when I was a kid), but today I just hate to sit down glued to the tv all the time. In fact, the last regular show I would watch was Friends, and that ended how long ago?

Anyway, I wound up watching Queer as Folk, Nip/Tuck, Skins (a great teen British show) and some others. But what really got me excited?  Degrassi Junior High. Yes. I know most people are probably familiar with the new Degrassi on Nickelodeon, but when I was a kid, Degrassi Junior High was the shit. They used to show it on PBS, and I saw a few random ones in school. I loved the series. It was kind of shocking back then, with drug use, teen pregnancy, abortion, etc being shown. I guess it's tame compared to the new version, but my friends and I were always left speechless after particular episodes.

I got the first disc in the mail the other day and watched all 5 episodes in a row. They are pretty short, so it wasn't an overload. I was hooked. I wound up bumping all the rest to the top of my queue. I'm not sure I'll start watching the new version (which actually contains some of the original characters, so I heard). It is bringing back some hardcore memories though, let me tell you.

I've also gotten some other weird/random dvds from Netflix. If you grew up on Long Island or the tri-state area, then you must have watched The Magic Garden with Carol and Paula as a kid. Well sure enough, they put out a compliation dvd of some of their shows...and I watched them! Any of my NY friends remember this show? "It's time to say hello...hello...hello..."  And because I love the 80's and soap operas, I added some old school Dallas and Dynasty to the list.

Of course it's not just tv shows on my queue. There are also some random animes that I want to watch but not necessarily buy, and some movies I know the husband has no interest in watching with me. Netflix is a good place to watch all those great indie and foreign movies you hear about around Academy Award time, but can never actually find in a theater within a 70 mile radius of your town.

So while I anxiously await the next disc of Degrassi, I'll think about what to bump up next on my queue. I'm thinking it will be Mad Men, but it might turn out to be Modern Family. Just depends on what mood i'm in, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I love Netflix, too! Love it. Instant is the best invention ever. I can't wait for everything to be instant. By the way, I loved loved loved Skins. Netflix is awesome for British TV. Where else can you get whole seasons without paying for them? And, I never watched Degrassi, but I remember the Secret Garden! OMG! I'm going to have to get that one. There used to be a friends feature on Netflix so you could recommened movies and see each other's lists. I think it's gone though. I want to be your Netflix Buddy!

    ReplyDelete